Blog Archive

Friday, August 8, 2008

The kids in Korea

Funny story...

The kids in Korea show a lot of respect for teachers, which is very different from the US. When they hand in a paper, if they use both hands to hand the paper, that means the utmost respect. If they hand in a paper with one hand on the paper and the other on their right elbow, that also shows respect. Other than the hands, kids can respect their teachers by not looking them in the face. It is considered rude in Korea to stare or look someone in the face because it is considered a challenge. Well, so Bryn and I (Connie) were out with Samantha. She was telling us about how she was yelling at some student because his test answers were bogus. Well she is yelling at him in his face, looking at him saying "Look at me when I'm talking to you!" Well Bryn and I informed her that the students way of showing respect was by not looking directly at her. Therefore, she was yelling at the kid "Look at me when I'm talking to you," when he was trying to show the most respect possible and Sam thought it was really disrespectful. hahaha I guess its a culture class for the students. You have to love the random things that happen in a day here.

2 comments:

DARA said...

HI SAM,
REMEMBER ME? DARA FROM PROGRESSIVE.
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY!! I WOULD LOVE TO DO THE SAME THING EXCEPT IN CHINA. HOW DID YOU FIND A REPUTABLE COMPANY TO WORK WITH? ANY TIPS ON GETTING STARTED? I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

BLESSINGS 2 U, DARA

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Contributors